News from Us in Oz

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Welcome to Wirilda.

This will be our abode for the next year or so. There are a few more leaves on the trees and the car in the driveway is now a white Camry.

I went out to Chadstone Centre yesterday and didn't scare any of the locals with my driving.

The customs gods must be smiling on us because our belongings arrive today - sans two pair of hiking boots that need to be steamed cleaned. I guess my cleaning job of the four bikes must have worked.

Yesterday was interesting. I mean besides the fact that I drove to the mall with only N. in the car.

N. and I have started running. Bad timing with the heat getting upwards over 100 F. We went out after 4 for a jog around the neighborhood. When we returned there was no power. I wasn't sure if the house blew a fuse. So we handled it for a bit. Played some Ziggity and cooled down. Then I went on a fuse box hunt.

Hmmm.. did you know that if you take the panel off the alarm box it will go off? Yes... the alarm is going off and I don't know how to turn it off. N. is getting worried. I call have N. call S. I'm told there is a handbook that should have the information or I should call the realtor. It finally stops its buzzing and I reset the system.

Turns out that it was much of Victoria without power. With the bush fires they can't move around the power grid.

I made my signature brownies but they were not up to par. I have to learn how to use this oven. It can heat from the bottom.. heat from the top, blower on. UGH. Plus it is much smaller than a regular oven since it is a side by side. I think the larger size will be too small for my baking stones. So sad.

I also had to substitute for graham cracker crumbs in my s'more squares. They turned out very well.

N. has been introduced to the humor of Jeff N. He was thrown into the pool, had water poured on his head and almost had water tossed at him. I think N. loved it. He loves their dogs. I can hear it now for when we go home.

A. is off at Netzer camp. What is the first thing I get texted messaged from him? Why didn't I send him with money. OOOPs.

Yesterday when we returned from the mall the mall was here. There was a box by the door. I got all excited thinking it was one of my boxes I had mailed from the States. No such luck. It was a book order that the owners had placed in September 2006 that must have backstroked here from Vermont.

More pictures and news when I get my computer up and running tonight.

3 Comments:

  • Looks lovely! Sounds like things are going well. Can't wait to hear more.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 5:57 AM  

  • Ann it sounds great. You are one brave woman. A friend several years ago moved to DuBai with her hubby for his work. I can't wait to hear your stories.

    By Blogger Judy F, At 7:34 AM  

  • Great blog. Was the cleaning of the bikes and hiking boots an agricultural regulation? When I have been on ships with military vehicles that go ashore overseas they have to go through a huge car wash to be steam cleaned to prevent contaminated dirt from entering the US. In the Mediterranean it is a certain type of snail that can devour plant life.

    Ray

    By Blogger Ray, At 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home