News from Us in Oz

Monday, April 02, 2007


Footy and other musings

First I have to say.. dh and I were too subtle with our April 1st post. NO the drought has not ended (unfortunately) and NO we are not experiencing flooding. For those interested... try clicking on some of the links (especially the rained out game in Antigua.) Truth first paragraph and last paragraph.. tall tale inbetween.

Friday we were invited to our first Australian Rules Football game . I would say it is a blend of soccer(kicking to score), basketball (yes.. the dribble the ball), football (there are tackles) and something all its own.

We went to the MCG (okay I was in the slow group.. I finally got what it stood for - Melbourne Cricket Ground.) We watched the St. Kilda Saints beat the Melbourne Demons. What was interesting was the teams come on to the field and everyone stands and sings their club song. (Saints and Demons) No national anthem.

We were guests of our friend who had seasons tickets through work. We were wined and dined in one of the box restaurants. As dh said we could get use to this treatment. We even stayed for the cheese and fruit after the game until the traffic died down.

It was lots of fun and I think we'll look into bringing our kidlets to a game or two.

I promised to post more pictures of some of the things around here.

We've been doing a fair share of biking. We can easily bike into Melbourne in under 30 minutes.

We've been doing a fair share of biking. We can easily bike into Melbourne in under 30 minutes. We take the Gardiner's Creek Bike Trail to the Yarra Main Bike Trail. A few Sundays ago dh, N and I biked to dh's service apartment in South Yarra. N was a tad disappointed that is was an apartment and that he couldn't go in to see it. What was impressive was that he pedaled all the way up Caroline Street. UGH. What a hill.

From there we continued into Melbourne along the river. N. has gotten into taking pictures. I think gobbles up any information his elder sibling gives him on how to take pictures. Below are a few pictures.. of the trail and some pics of Melbourne. (top picture was Melbourne from the south bank of the Yarra - red blobs were decorations for lack of a better word placed out on the lawn we think for the FINA World Championship or this link.) I'll post more pics. later on. Sorry that I am not adapt at posting pictures in my blog. I'm working on it. See nice glorious sun. :)


Yarra River away from Melbourne.


Bike trail actually runs under a major highway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home